Thursday, June 18, 2009

Summer Summer Summer!!!

Well, It is summer time. I am working for Glacier Bay National Park this summer and it is amazing. We have had about a month of wonderful sunshine and warm sunny weather. But alas the rains have come. It is beautiful though. I love the rain and I've missed it. Everything smells so wonderful and fresh after the rain.

So far this summer has been one adventure after another. I am working at the visitor information station (VIS) with lots of new and wonderful people! Right now things are running fairly smoothly. We have had quite a few campers and boaters already which is really great. Its always fun to meet new people from all over. And they really are from all over. We have people from the lower 48, Alaska, Europe... and the list goes on. I really enjoy being able to talk with people about where they are from, what they plan on doing while visiting the park and talking to them when they have come back to check in with us.

Along with working there is always some play time. I am sharing an apartment in seasonal housing with Mackenzie and Erica. So far everything seems to be going well and we are all getting along famously. Below our apartment is Racheal, Jessica and Addison. Racheal and Jessica work with Mackenzie and I at the VIS and Addison is working for the invasive plant management team. We all have a lot of fun together!

Hmmmm, so some adventures to share with you... Well first off I went with Bill Eichenlaub to the outer coast last weekend in his boat (the Cheech). We anchored the first night in Cape Spencer. FYI Cape Spencer is so beautiful. The next day we took the boat farther up the coast to Torch Bay. We anchored in torch bay and then got into Bill's inflatable red kayaks. We then kayaked along the Coast line (headed East). It was amazing and slightly terrifying. I never thought I would be gutsy enough to put myself in a flimsy little kayak and then proceed to kayak in the big, wide open ocean. It was so much fun though and really a rush. The swells were a little freaky to get used to at first, but it really wasn't so bad. The next day we woke up bright and early to come back. On the way back we flew Bill's kite behind the boat with his camera attached to take pictures of the coast line. Bill's camera takes pictures at 10 second intervals and we got some amazing pictures of the coast line! All in all it was a really awesome weekend.

So after my wonderful weekend, I had some patrol days. Racheal and I used them to go kayaking in the Beardslee Islands. We woke up bright and early on Monday morning, hopped into our kayak (a double) and away we went! It was amazing! For awhile our boat was being surrounded by harbor porpoises. They were five feet from our boat, just playing and jumping. It was amazing to see them so close. Racheal and I also saw a mother moose and her calf swimming from one island to the next. There were lots of sea otters and some seals, but we didn't see any bears. Over all it was an amazing trip and a great patrol. Well that's all I have for now!

2 comments:

Bob & Ellie said...

What fun! I can hear you laughing as you do these wonderfully Alaskan things. Enjoy summer in fabulous GB to the fullest! We miss you!!!

Dick and Nancy said...

Ahhhhh........21 and single.....ain't life grand!!!!. Love ya Sweets