Saturday, July 30, 2011

July Wrap-Up

I can't believe we have reached the end of July! The summer is quickly coming to an end, if the weather has been any indication, and fall will be upon us soon. I'm not sure I'm ready to think about Fall and the cold, but I'm sure I will wrap my head around it at some point. Everything around here has been extremely busy. All sorts of people in and out of the office, but it's fun.
The weekend of the 16th, I helped Mike and Dolphin cut up some Chum for salmon strips... some of you might be thinking Chum, who eats Chum... well they are actually pretty great here (never thought I would say that) and they make great smoked strips. Well we cut them up and hung them to smoke and took down the strips that were already done. It was a lot of fun and something I hadn't done before, which made it great to learn. Also, they were super yummy and I ate too many of them.
Last Thursday (July 21), I headed up to the George River weir and made it back on the next Tuesday (July 26). It was great to see the fish weir in full swing and under operations. I helped with counts and ASL (age, sex, length) sampling and other little camp chores around the site. Josh and James were the only two up there when I arrived and on Monday Chris came into camp. Chris is one of the ADF&G supervisors we work cooperatively with for some of our projects (the weirs and fish wheels). It was great to have some overlap time with Chris and then head out. The greatest adventure I had was in driving the in-season boat (our 30-ft aluminum skiff, with a canopy and Honda 90 HP outboard) from the George River down to Aniak. This doesn't seem like a big deal, except I did it all by myself with no one else around. It takes about 2 1/3 to 3 hours to go from the George to Aniak and there are all sorts of gravel bars and shallow spots along the way. Luckily, I happen to be an awesome boat driver and made it all the way with no problems. I was definitely a little bit scared at first, but it all worked out.
Now this next Monday (August 1) Mike and I are headed up to the George and Tatlawiksuk weirs with Palma. Palma is the coordinator of our Partner's Biologist position and Partner's educator position. She likes to come out and observe the projects and see how things are going. It will also be a great chance for Mike and I to observe Scott F. (our educator) with his lessons. We have heard great things from the weir crews and interns about Scott and I'm so glad he is doing well and doing a great job. Then we come back on Thursday, so it is a rather quick trip! I really think it will be a lot of fun!
Oh, while I was up at George, I went sheefish fishing with James! I have never fished for a Sheefish before and it was so much fun! I caught four of them (and yes, I do have my fishing license)! I should mention that I beat James, he only caught two. He was bragging at the beginning how he outfishes everyone and then I kicked his butt. It was great, no one ever said I was competitive or anything, right? I had a lot of fun and I enjoy fishing more than I thought I would.
That's all for now. I'm sure I will have lots to say when I get back from the rivers! Mwah! XOXO

1 comment:

Sara and Matt said...

Sounds like you're enjoying Alaska! I wish I could be up there with you! Hopefully we can see each other soon!